What It Is (posts below left; rate sheet, client list, other stuff below right)

My name is Bob Land. I am a full-time freelance editor and proofreader, and occasional indexer. This blog is my website.

You'll find my rate sheet and client list here, as well as musings on the life of a freelancer; editing, proofreading, and indexing concerns and issues; my ongoing battles with books and production; and the occasional personal revelation.

Feel free to contact me directly with additional questions: landondemand@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting. Leave me a comment. Come back often.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

More Lattice

Just finished indexing a marvelous book: The New Space: Movement and Experience in Viennese Modern Architecture, by Christopher Long.

I write that, well, just about never -- especially when I've just sent in the invoice.

This story has a point. Maybe more.

The next PDF I open is Modernism and Opera. I won't mention the authors, just in case.

For the following, turn off your sound for five seconds. Those ads are obscene.



It's too bad that I'll be working on these books almost a month apart. I might begin to learn something. Only the strange and useless will stick after 30 days.

Something I have learned, however, in indexing the second of Prof. Long's books, is that indexing is much easier when the writing is crystal clear, as well as academic without being too scholarly or flowery.

I hope he's a professor somewhere. We're going to a graduation this weekend, and I suppose I'll see a few. Son and future daughter-in-law are receiving their MATs, and the University is finally deigning to award our son Harry the bachelor's he earned a year ago. Never quite figured that one out. Maybe he got it.

Don't come around the house. Two vicious animals will still be in residence.

My wife has recently spoken of perhaps taking possession of a young one of these . . . although nothing else is one of these:

Elvis, 1996-2015

No comments: