What It Is (posts below left; rate sheet, client list, other stuff below right)

My name is Bob Land. I am a full-time freelance editor and proofreader, and occasional indexer. This blog is my website.

You'll find my rate sheet and client list here, as well as musings on the life of a freelancer; editing, proofreading, and indexing concerns and issues; my ongoing battles with books and production; and the occasional personal revelation.

Feel free to contact me directly with additional questions: landondemand@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting. Leave me a comment. Come back often.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

testimonial

From the managing editor to the author:

The indexer has completed his work. I have attached the indexes for your review. Up to now, the index of subjects is clearly the best index in any [book of this series].

From the author to the managing editor:

This looks very good after a first quick scan. I agree with the indexer’s strategy, so am fine with that. I’ll look through this tonight and send a word along to you. I can’t imagine, though, that I will have any issue with this. I am very impressed with it. One of my tests was to look for [a particular, and particularly obscure, technical term] to see if that was indexed, and it was. I think the indexer understands the book!

(Insert nervous cough from indexer here.)

2 comments:

moi said...

Okay. I have decided I want to be a Mistress of the Universe Indexer. You do on-line classes?

czar said...

You can't be serious.

You've got the mind for it, and you can write pithily, and you obviously can read and digest materials. You'd probably be great at it.

Classes? You don't need no stinkin' classes. Indexing is like sex, in this respect: One day you're a virgin, the next you're not. One day you've never written an index, the next day you have. And with any luck, you get better at it over time.

Oh, and you have something great in your arsenal as a potential indexer: an actual arsenal. Could come in handy.