What It Is (posts below left; rate sheet, client list, other stuff below right)

My name is Bob Land. I am a full-time freelance editor and proofreader, and occasional indexer. This blog is my website.

You'll find my rate sheet and client list here, as well as musings on the life of a freelancer; editing, proofreading, and indexing concerns and issues; my ongoing battles with books and production; and the occasional personal revelation.

Feel free to contact me directly with additional questions: landondemand@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting. Leave me a comment. Come back often.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

tired of being sick and tired


I'm tired of writing indexes, and I'm tired of writing about indexes. I have four to do or finish up this week (two to go). On three of them, I also copyedited or proofread the books, which helps, but not enough.

I received a query the other day from a university press whose indexer had an emergency medical issue and could not complete the index s/he was working on. The only work thing worse at this point in my life besides another index would be writing half an index and then trying to merge the work of the person who started it and my own. What can I understand from this situation? That the indexer had an emergency medical issue. I can relate. Maybe it was a failed suicide attempt.

Clients who might be reading this: send me something to proofread, will ya?

No comments: