What It Is (posts below left; rate sheet, client list, other stuff below right)

My name is Bob Land. I am a full-time freelance editor and proofreader, and occasional indexer. This blog is my website.

You'll find my rate sheet and client list here, as well as musings on the life of a freelancer; editing, proofreading, and indexing concerns and issues; my ongoing battles with books and production; and the occasional personal revelation.

Feel free to contact me directly with additional questions: landondemand@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting. Leave me a comment. Come back often.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Other Than That, Mrs. Lincoln, How Was the Play?

Email received this morning from a publisher:

======

Hi Bob:

I know you have several projects in your hands right now, but I’ve run into a problem and I’m contacting all my indexers to see if anyone can help!

I received an index from a new indexer yesterday (my three “regulars” are busy), right on schedule, but it’s not acceptable.  I now have a book that is going to be overdue, without an index.  The book is 288 pages, with 8 pages of that reserved for the index.  The biggest problem with the rejected index is that the indexer does not have a grasp of the theological content, and many of the entries just don’t make sense, the contributors to the volume are not referenced properly, some of the page ranges are too wide, and poor decisions are made about what to break down and how to phrase things.

It may be possible to salvage some of the work—I could forward the rejected index to you—or maybe that just makes more work than not.

In any case, if there is any way you could help out with this index or if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

4 comments:

moi said...

And your reply was . . . ?

czar said...

Are you kidding me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lIEizWqs_8

moi said...

Hah! Also, Courtney Love was great in this movie.

Also, part deaux: I'm hosting next week's Haiku Monday at my place. I will follow suit and blind judge (Chickory will cut and paste and email to me) and offer prizes.

So, let your homies know, por favor.

Topic is: LEMON

czar said...

Moi:

Homies have been emailed and invited to drop by your place on Monday. I also let them know the topic.

Good idea for blind judging. Not everyone has free labor sitting around the house, awake and raring to go at midnight.

Stepping-Stones on its way via media mail. You'll be proud that I only paid the USPS two bucks and change when they could have extorted $4.90 or more from me. Why feed the monkey? And I figure you probably have enough to read and write to keep you busy.