What It Is (posts below left; rate sheet, client list, other stuff below right)

My name is Bob Land. I am a full-time freelance editor and proofreader, and occasional indexer. This blog is my website.

You'll find my rate sheet and client list here, as well as musings on the life of a freelancer; editing, proofreading, and indexing concerns and issues; my ongoing battles with books and production; and the occasional personal revelation.

Feel free to contact me directly with additional questions: landondemand@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting. Leave me a comment. Come back often.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Worship Music

Go ahead, listen. It won't kill ya.



Somewhere on this Sunday, it's my brother's fifty-seventh birthday. I suspect he will spend his day as I will spend mine -- in heavy editorial pursuit, attempting to keep other demons at bay. In my brother's case I have no idea what those demons are, but I guarantee you they are there.

Below is perhaps the only surviving photo of my brother and me in our youth -- maybe even the only such photo ever taken. (That's how we roll.) You will note the Mr. Natural poster on the wall. If I had to date this image, I'd say late August 1972.

Yes, folks, I once had hair. Lots and lots of it.


5 comments:

moi said...

Ah, 1970s little kid haircuts. Gotta love 'em. Hope your bro enjoyed his birthday in some way, shape, or form.

Aunty Belle said...

hmnnn...any chance ya' might write us the backstory on these sentences:



*Somewhere* on this Sunday, it's my brother's fifty-seventh birthday.

Below is perhaps the only surviving photo of my brother and me in our youth -- maybe even *the only such photo ever taken.*

Let's hope brother had a terrific day--an' that yore own Sunday surprised ya' wif' some minor amusement.

czar said...

@Moi: You should have heard me squeal after haircuts. Why couldn't I just be a hippie?

@Aunty: Nothing as interesting as it sounds.

My brother, as far as I can tell, shuttles between home and work and work and work. He's generally in one of two boroughs in NYC. So, "somewhere" meant that I suspected he was laboring in one of his proofreading gigs or commuting to same, or resting between them.

We just weren't picture takers. I can't remember ever being gathered together for photos, or even being told "Hold still" while someone snapped a shot. I never remember seeing any other such photos, and I vaguely remember Mom having some specific reason for taking this one, but I can't remember it.

Is there a backstory behind us not being picture takers? Yeah, probably. I've probably been overly personal already.

I heard from my brother later that day. He worked. Peas in a pod.

Aunty Belle said...

Ah, thanks for the clarification--I be worriet that "somewhere" meant you had no idea where yore brother wuz...another workaholic, huh? or...like Aunty, that B word day ain't one ya pay much notice, heh.

czar said...

@Aunty: Not knowing where my brother was, that was another time in life. All was fine. The story I know, anyway.

Yeah, birthdays don't mean much to the Land males (my generation and above, anyway; an unholy triumvirate), although the patriarch celebrates his 80th later this year. We already made one grueling trip to Las Vegas this year, previously chronicled. I'm not sure I can do that again.